Friday, January 27, 2006

I recently got the last cd At the drive in (one of my fav rock bands of all time) will proably ever put out, (cuz they broke up awhile ago) and formed some bands I really enjoy one of which being the mars volta who I love with probably equal affection (they cant really be compared though)
anyway the cd came with a bonus dvd of the three videos they put out
the first
One armed scissor is the video/song that made me like them in the first place and shortly after i gobbled up all the old cds i could find (i have all of them)
the video is taken from live concerts and shows the passion and energy of the band in full form, highlighting cedric the singer in his very animated (like me rocking out) dancing/screaming style. Its amazing
the second is one of my favorite videos of all time (others including pearl jam's do the evolution and Bjork's pagan poetry)
its for
Invalid litter dept. and is basically a propganda video bringing awareness to the crimes of juarez mexico (right by el paso where the band is from)
I cry almost every time I see this video, its incredibly sad, but whats more its disgusting, its incredibly terrifying that this is a real thing.
so that by the end of the video when cedric is screaming you want to be right there with him.

the third is off an earlier cd called vaya,
its for a song called metronome arthritis, and is not exceptionally good, it reminds me a bit of Sparta's cut your ribbon video (spart being the other members of at the drive in not in the mars volta) cut your ribbon is a good song and the video works for it, but this one is eh,,
its got something to do with a seedy drug underworld and like most at the drive in /mars volta stuff is way weird and complicated.

I highly recommend seeing invalid litter dept. and checking out at the drive in if you can handle energetic rock/punk (somewhat emo ish but not bad emo) screaming and lyrics that seem incoherent but actually make sense if you get a little tripped out.

No comments: