Sunday, January 22, 2006

Amy Chua writes:

In countries with a market-dominant minority and a poor "indigenous" majority, the forces of democratization and marketization directly collide. As markets enrich the market dominant minority, democratization increases the political voice and power of the frustrated majority. The competition for votes fosters the emergence of demagogues who scapegoat the resented minority, demanding an end to humiliation, and insisting that the nation's wealth be reclaimed by its "true owners." Thus as America toasted the spread of global elections through the 1990s, vengeful ethnic slgans proliferated: (a list of nationalist slogans for example "America for Americans") More moderate candidates who disavow ethnic politics are made to look like traitors. As popular hatred of the rich "outsider" mounts, the result is an ethnically charged political pressure cooker in which some form of backlash is unavoidable.

This book is really good, and kind of scary. One of my problems with it is that I always look for the optimistic side, and in some sense my capitalist side flares. When she talks about poor impoverished nations without infrastructure being pillaged by outside economic forces, I think "wow i bet if they had infrastructure americans and europeans would want to go there because its cheap. If you could provide a safe place to stay (a hostel) you could make some serious cash. I then decide to do such a thing would be morally wrong, so I add that profits could be used to make shelters, redistribute food etc.

oh capitalism, am I he who upon tasting your pleasure sweetly intermingled with disdain for redistribution would cast off my notions of social justice? Am I he?

No comments: