Tuesday, August 20, 2002

Once upon a time I found myself in a far away land, in a store with little to no money (having just dropped it somewhere). I was talking to a man who spoke very little english but had said he had visited the U.S. once a few years back. The man was a store clerk, he was taller than me but was just as lanky though he covered it with a green striped sweater vest, he had dark skin but had lighter hair like he was going somewhat gray or had been spending a lot of time in the sun. Anyway I told the man of my predicament, and he seemed shocked to see me in such a good mood. He asked me many questions about what I would do and I just kept telling him I was sure things would be fine. Anyway after enough of this he simply stated to me "you know denial aint just a river in Egypt" with a somewhat Indian/Italian accent and then proceeded to laugh hysterically for several minutes. After a while I kinda wondered (from his laughing) if he even knew what that meant. -You know how sometimes people just repeat things in similar situations?- Well, anyway I asked him, and he shook his head that he didn't really understand and then we sat there in his dark little store for a good five minutes just staring at the wooden floor. _none of this really happened but you can imagine what it would be like if it had eh?

No comments: