Friday, November 28, 2008

So my brother and his girlfriend and I are out at a movie in uptown. We went to see Milk which was good, long, probably not as powerful as it could have been... but also very informative, hopeful and sad. Anyway, my brother gets up to go to the bathroom and he see's his boss and his boss's daughter in the back row... trying to be incognito. You see, my brother works for a certain celebrity senatorial candidate... anyway, of course they start talking in the aisle, and all of a sudden I feel I'm apart of a small circus. I feel like that must be really hard for his daughter.
Eventually they all settle down and people stop saying hi, and we watch the movie. It makes me feel really good that this possible politician is in the audience watching this movie. That that is the way he would spend his thanksgiving.
After the movie we all walk out together, and the 4 of them talk for 5 minutes on the sidewalk in uptown. I stand around like an idiot, feeling out of place next to this celebrity who my brother feels so natural around. Who he talks to like a friend. This guy who makes dumb jokes like any boss. Who wants to have a conversation with someone he knows, about the movie, about work, its 12:30 AM on a sidewalk in uptown. I have a grin on my face, partially because I'm starstruck, partially because I think its really dumb to treat people like they are different, but I am trying to look around to see what other people think. They seem to be excited and proud. The whole thing is ridiculous... what a weird life.

No comments: