Saturday, November 22, 2008

Family and other shit

I spent the morning helping my 78 year old grandmother move into her new apartment in St. Paul. She made the trip from San Diego a few months ago, but her place wasn't finished yet, so she has had her stuff in storage and has stayed at my mother's.
Moving her in, I recognized immediately what my mother has been saying for years about my grandmother's spending habits. It isn't the abundance of furniture she never uses, the two computers she can't even see, the glass sets, the silverware, the vases, or the multiple closets the size of my room full of clothes that impress me... its the idea that she packed 8 boxes of sandwich baggies, dish soaps and other random crap that a rich person shouldn't think twice about throwing out. I understand wanting to keep the shit you bought on the shopping network, but bringing dish soap across the country? Grama we got that shit here....
But yeah... its all fairly excessive... She has at least enough clothes to last a year (without wearing anything twice). She has a guest bedroom full of boxes and furniture that she didn't have anywhere else to put... She doesn't want it in storage for the chance that she might need it... but and entire bedroom dedicated to one 78 yr old woman's extra stuff....


Also, I can't tell what costs $1000 and what costs $10... so I am not the best unpacker.
Its all glass, unpolished wood and ceramics. She wouldn't send any of the precious metals or jewels with the movers, because they had names like "Juan." (who was fucking awesome by the way).
According to my mom you don't tip movers if they work on a salary.
So that process (her moving in) will take a week or two....


I am also having thanksgiving with my dad's side of the family in an hour.
It will be the first time I have seen my older brother since we heard my uncle died.
He is busy with the recount I guess.


I spent my afternoon shower thinking about how picky I am when it comes to potential partners
and the movie Cast Away.

I looked up my school on myspace and found a bunch of my students profiles... and their pictures of them smoking pot and drinking beer.

I thought I had a bunch to say... but I guess not.

No comments: