Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Post Election Day recap

Yesterday Barack Obama did something no Democrat has done in 8 years. He won the presidential race and not only that, but took back states such as Nevada, Indiana, Ohio, Colorado, New Mexico, Virginia, Florida? and maybe even Missouri and North Carolina. It was a tremendous win as newscasters called it even before the West Coast polls closed. Many were overjoyed, including a hundred thousand at a park in Chicago and quite a few at my house.
Not to make the win a "race thing," and not to say that racism is over, but 46 years ago black people couldn't vote in the south and now a black man is President. The son of a Kenyan man who was a student here. A President Elect who went to school in another country. A President Elect, who basically grew up fatherless. Its not to say that Obama isn't a wealthy elite now, but he didn't grow up that way and a generation ago the thought was considered a dream and now its a reality.
Beautiful.
I would never say something like "only in America" because that would be ignorant to the stories of so many in other places, but in our America I am glad to have seen this day.
That being said...

Minnesota, thanks for passing the amendment, now What the FUCK?
You reelected a nutcase(Bachmann), a guy who uses racist campaign propaganda(Paulsen) and an now openly corrupt asshole (Coleman).

5/8 aint bad, and I know how many people think Franken is a dick, but in what fucked up world are you living in if you think Barkley and Coleman are better?

I blame all this entirely on the Twin Cities Suburbs and it makes me ashamed.

All this pissed me off. I was frustrated this morning, I didn't know what to think, and then I looked at the State Ballot Measures
Arizona FUCK YOU
Arkansas FUCK YOU
California FUCK YOU
Florida FUCK YOU
Michigan, you are funny
Nebraska FUCK YOU

My boss is a Lesbian, I pointed out the Arkansas initiative,
her response was something like
"they dont even think were human"
and I immediately burst into tears, because she said it.

She said it
-I'm happy about the presidential race,
but all around me I see people denying the humanity of others.

How could I not be hurt, angry and saddened by it?

Truly a bittersweet day.

No comments: