Saturday, November 01, 2008

UM me being a nerd

So Sunny Day Real Estate has been one of my favorite bands for a long time. The lead singer/one of the song writers also performs solo Jeremy enigk and has another band called The Fire Theft. He has a show on NOV 30th... i might check it out.

Anyway his voice is often sort of annoying to people. I haven't heard him speak, but hes from Seattle. He may speak in a lisp, in which case I would feel bad for saying this. But I have always found it interesting the way he sometimes sounds like he is British. I have tried this technique while singing and was quite impressed, both because it sounds fun and also because it sometimes allows you to hit higher notes (something about holding out a note while emphasizing a different syllable.) -technically one should only hold out vowels, but i have a hard time doing that sometimes.

Anyway, I found this video of a beautiful song today, and thought I would share it. It also proves what I have been saying.
Watch the way he draws in his jaw while singing. I'm pretty sure this is not natural even for minnesotans who tend to use the top of their mouths more when singing. One normally opens their mouth more when singing high notes.



This is a solo version of my favorite SDRE song. He hits a few funny notes on the piano...(so this version sounds eck) He also changes the lyrics slightly.

No comments: