Friday, June 27, 2008

Too much stuff

So I'm cleaning, packing and organizing stuff. A more in depth look shows that I have far too much stuff.
What do I do with the 100 notebooks filled with scribbles(art and writing) from every month of every year since I was little. I haven't looked through them in decades but something tells me they are important to capture the age.
The unpacking of boxes shows I don't actually need every college book I ever had. And some experience in the field shows that I don't actually use all my wonderful books so filled with knowledge that they take up 2 inches on a book shelf. Do I need the 20-30 novels I have managed to read in between studies in the past few years? Will I ever read them again? Or will I just pick up a new book? I would lend them out... but who wants more crap? Comics? political books (that really only speak to one presidential cycle). What about art? I never feel like I'm creating enough... and yet I got a closet full and shelves full and really I don't care about it... I just don't want to throw away my efforts. FREE TO GIVE AWAY! Movies I never watch. Cds I dont use because they are all on my computer, but I like to know they are there whenever my computer crashes.
I'm moving into a space that is just as small as the one I'm in. And of course some stuff can be left behind... but left behind for what? To be thrown away later?
Hats and hair extensions I have never worn. Cloth from foreign countries no one wants. Art from friends... their time, creativity, attention and caring.... and what do I do... sits in a pile on my floor... waiting for some day when I can put it on a wall... i guess.
office supplies and toiletries but every time I need some I stop at a gas station or target. And every office I work at has supplies to give me. Empty notebooks and sketch pads... So many that they take up half a shelf because eventually I will get to them... but apparently not as quickly as they will be gifted to me. Keeping track of them all is a task in itself.
What about the what if stuff? Poker chips? musical instruments? board games? I use them... sometimes... but enough to take up space?
what about tourist shit I bought. Memories of a time and place... but crafted in some factory and sold on the street by some kid, not worth their weight really.
So many of my friends have learned to be non materialistic, minimalists... And I understand why. And I like their places... but they are barren... there is nothing going on. And I need color and texture and the ability to grab a book or have a shirt or a hat or a scarf should I want it.

but the real question is.
Anyone want anything?

2 comments:

Yumi Lover said...

I have a friend whose apartment looks like an ikea showroom. It is perfect. But he said he likes my place better cuz it looks lived in :) What boardgames do u have?

Anonymous said...

good question... i will have to get back to you on that. I think I dont actually have as many as I thought I did... my mom puts extra shit in my room sometimes because my grama stays here when she comes... and she likes puzzles I guess. but you and me are gonna start playing board games.