Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Ani Difranco is just so damn good.... um what else

Hey heres something I wrote to my high school teachers... i dont think they got it... or they didnt feel like responding... (names of students have been changed but since these peoples names are public knowledge it didnt make sense to change them.

Greetings to you wonderful teachers!

Hello again. This is Mike _____ class of 2002 -long hair, too talkative, peace sign (I know how hard it is to remember everyone). I just wanted to let you know that I will be finishing up my social studies license in May and hoping to teach as soon as I can. I am pretty sure a huge part of my decision to become a teacher is because of all of you and wanted to let you know that I really appreciate all that you did for me and my class and think about you often. My time at St. Louis Park was one of the best times of my life and I'm glad to see that so many of you are still there.
Is it still a good school? Has it changed too much?

I always dreamed of teaching there but I understand that there are no openings available, still keep me in mind if anything opens up. Also, if any of you would feel comfortable giving me any advice, or if you know of any good leads on the job market let me know (especially if they are in urban areas, fun alternative schools, or international).
I thought I should share some fond memories (Forgive me if I mess up honorific titles).

Mrs. Garland, You were my first social studies teacher at the high school, and I'm pretty sure my incessant questions and comments had you flustered numerous times, but you were always more than courteous, fair and certainly helpful in challenging us to backup are political arguments and discussions. I’m not sure, but I think I began loving politics in your civics class.

Mr. O’Brien I was in your class my senior year when those planes struck the WTC and I remember you allowing us to watch the news every day. Personally it was a fairly challenging time for me to retain my beliefs, but I remember thinking that your response to this event was almost perfect, helping us to realize that in many ways the history of western civilization is actually still happening, and that in order to really understand events, we need to inform ourselves about them.

Mr. Miller your excitement in class everyday was amazing. U.S. History came alive for so many of us in your classroom, and when we fell asleep in class dreaming about Lincoln, Grant and Sherman, Davis and Lee, well you woke us up and regaled us with another great story. One time you got so excited about the topic of my presentation, you jumped in and told one of the best parts… but I can’t hold that against you because I am constantly excited by history now in much the same way. I only hope that I can bring that kind of excitement to the classroom.

McLean, what can I say? I camped on your lawn. You let us steal electricity and provided the extension cords. Deviance was never so fun. I’m not sure if you remember me now, but a couple years after graduating you walked up to me and called me by name and shook my hand and asked how I was, and it meant a great deal to me because you assured all of us that you would never remember our names. I have the same problem, but we could always tell how much you enjoyed having us as students because you sort of glowed in the classroom. It was great.

Mrs. Skadden, not only did I absolutely love sociology the moment I realized what it was, but also I never felt so personally welcome in a class. I don’t mean any offense to anyone else on this list, but every day you sort of went out of your way to tell me that you expected a lot from me but knew I was capable of it. One day in the hall after class you stopped me and told me I had to do something important with my life. Strong words, but exactly what I needed to hear. I don’t know if teaching will always be the right path for me, but I plan on trying in any and every way to fulfill that command.

Ms Jurewicz, I recently handed out an evaluation to my students and one responded to every question (whether it was related or not) “More yoga! More yoga! More yoga!” I’m not even good at it… Of the many things I learned from you, the most important has probably always been that it is important to be yourself, because that is how one shines. I think I learned that both from your words and your example. I was inspired by your stories, your attitude, your ease and comfort and I know it wasn’t always easy dealing with me or your other students, but thank you for your confidence and support, and for being such a wonderful inspiration to me in so many ways.

To all of you and so many others at Park, THANK YOU! I loved school, and it saddens me how many people have not had that experience. I really want to give you a list of all the people I wish you could thank and say hi to for me, but it might be kind of long… so I guess just let everyone know that they are great and I’m sure they are doing their best.

A quick bio to let you know what I have been up to

By the end of high school I had been to about 6-7 different countries but am now at about 30. I went backpacking in Europe right after high school and returned while doing an individual study on ethnic conflicts throughout the world. Those trips also provided time to explore parts of Turkey and Morocco. I also spent a few weeks in India cramming as much information into my brain as I could.

I graduated in 2007 from the University of Minnesota Morris, but have stayed there for a teaching license. Other graduates of UMM include Andy S , Ashley E, Kristen I, Tim P, Ashley T who is in elementary education, Tim is in law, Kristen and Andy are both playing music along with other activities. I graduated with a soc science degree, but chose history, anthropology and sociology as minors, and threw on a women studies area of emphasis for fun. I guess I wasn’t in a rush to leave. Anyway I have been enjoying my life a great deal.

I hope this letter finds all of you doing well. I have become more and more aware of how thankless this profession can be at times and wanted to let all of you know how much I appreciate all of your hard work. So thank you again.

No comments: