Friday, July 13, 2007

Wellllllllllllllllll
thats a deep dark hole..
any who....

Um I spose an update before I leave for the weekend? Im headed to fargo area... to see Kat, for a couple days... its her birthday, im gonna crash in and be a monkey and then leave... im still sort of wondering what i should get her for a present... i dont think I know her well enough to make it special. she probably reads this occasionally and i should probably erase this... but no.
Anywho.

Work has been going well... only 2 weeks left, and Im sort of sad that I will be happy when its done... I dont really know why... I think part of it is because it isnt my class, my lectures, my projects my whatever... I mean I certainly do some teaching but its not a place that Im entirely comfortable, and im not sure I could be at this point.
I work with some great people, many of them are quite funny, and I enjoy that aspect of it. I have some amazing students... some who are talented in art ways... but mostly just really cool cats. I like them, I would even be tempted to be friends with several of them -if they werent so young.
Um yesterday one asked the difference between republicans and democrats.... I said there are a lot of differences, (but trying to be even handed) a lot of it came down to... republicans believe in individual rights, and individual responsibility, they think the govt should stay out of their lives and their families, and think that everyone should make it on their own, by working hard etc... democrats think all of that too, but feel that there are many people who need some help to get to a point where they can work hard on their own.... and that there are certain things the govt can help with, in ways that businesses cant help them with.
I said for a historical look. Republicans freed the slaves, the democrats gave them rights.
anyway...
I told Illy all this yesterday... but its really amazing to see how different the lives of people growing up in the same area are.... many of my students live within 20 minutes of eachother, but geographically and culturally they are in many ways worlds apart.
They have gone through a lot of terrible things, but its wonderful to see how strong they are. Its nice, sort of inspiring.
Most often though, I dont feel all that challenged in the job... I like having time to paint and what not... but there is definitely a lack of intellectual stimulation -and maybe that just means im in the wrong subject area, or not working hard enough.
one day that was quite challenging was tuesday. The normal teacher was out because her kid was in the hospital... and though I am not technically allowed to teach... we didnt have the budget for a sub.... so I lead, the extended day class (court ordered kids) and both classes of the mothers... and it worked out well in the end... but it was rather frustrating, and i could tell the students could see it in me, and i could see it in them...we were all a little pissy.
Im not sure I could do this type of work... It took me 20 minutes to get the extended day kids to write 2 sentences... (they like to blow off assignments).

Anywho... there are some matters at my work, that i cannot discuss... i hope I didnt cross any of those lines... I think it may be my best summer job ever... but still im sort of waiting for it to be done.

Hanging with Illy, has been sort of the highlight of my days lately.
Its nice to have a friend like that.


I went to see Knocked Up with Mel, yesterday, and she was real busy but managed to sneak it in... cuz shes nice to me. and i probably annoyed the hell out of her cuz i was laughing so much the whole movie... i thought it was great... and when the credits rolled we pointed out the musicians and what not... supa fun.

anywho... hopefully i will get to see some more people in the next few weeks... ashley is even tempting me with a trip to montana... (and honestly, I would enjoy the car ride just hanging out with her as much as seeing zach i think).

anywho...
peace and love to you.

No comments: