Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Alegria



I have been listening to this cd for 12 years. I am still amazed by it.
When I was in Hong Kong we kept seeing commercials for the new cd by Cirque Du Soleil, a group I hadn't really ever heard of. The commercial from what i remember didn't even show the gorgeous acrobatics, contortionists, street performers and dancers that their shows are known for, just the cover (different than the picture shown) and the music. At least that is what I remember. But I remember turning to my mom one day and saying we should buy this. So we did.
I don't think I have steadily cherished or used anything else I got during that trip in the same way.

At one point I had all the Cirque Du Soleil shows taped on VHS, I don't know what happened to that. If they weren't ridiculously expensive I would go see one. But I think the music of this cd has touched me in ways that the performance probably couldn't. Its just masterful. weird, eccentric, worldly, creepy, beautiful, emotional, deep, comical, driven, empowering, touching.

I have spent hours just listening with my eyes closed.

This acoustic remix of the title track is not on the cd, but though it is quite different from the dramatic production. It is also quite beautiful.
(video just plays the music)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is very beautiful Mike! Thanks for sharing