Monday, December 29, 2008

How I Could Just Kill A Man

With the bombing of Gaza and just finishing up a really good graphic novel about the war in Bosnia... I am tempted to say that maybe human nature really is so fucked up that power and destruction should not be seen as the exception to the rule.

We were discussing a friend's family troubles and how specifically her family was regarding the gay marriage issue as something worth fighting against (meaning gays shouldn't marry). I get angry now. I don't feel like I need to be polite. It seems so black and white. One acknowledges the humanity of people and one doesn't, but if even reasonable people cannot be moved to see the need to acknowledge, protect and support humanity.

Maybe cleaning up the map should be seen as acceptable.
Maybe the 1.5 million people in the Gaza Strip should just be moved or killed... cuz it would be easier to let things be than to fight for something better.

I don't and won't and can't accept this.
And if I ever do, you can trust that I am dead inside.
But I wonder if war captured my home, if I would be more willing to paint my fellow human as something less... like I start to see corrupt police as the enemy, rather than part of a corrupt system...
but there is nothing easy to fight there.
There is no bombing of a military recruiting station or corrupt police office (when no one is there of course). There is no grand scheme, uprising, coup, rebellion etc its all simply more complex. More waiting, more patience, more forcing yourself to love when you want to hate, more recognizing the humanity when you want to demonize, working past anger and outrage to find mutually beneficial partnership and hope.
No clean maps. No clean homes. Complicated. Complex. Diverse and harder...

and maybe someday we could see it might be all the more beautiful for the work. A complex pattern of color and feeling, ethnicity and language, sexuality and spirituality. It could be a beautiful thing, but not simple.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."

-Anne Frank



(Laurel)