Friday, July 25, 2008

A friend of my roommates remarked last night that a good relationship can only happen if you wanna rip the persons clothes off.

Thoughts?





-at first I was skeptical. Most of the people (regardless of sex) agreed after thinking it over. I guess I felt it was one of those things that could go either way. I think one can have instant sexual attraction, but one can also grow in sexual attraction. Yes at some point I think maybe that desire should be there... but is it necessary all the time? (not all the time -as in unacceptable behavior) but lingering ideas...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spose on a more personal note. I know that I chose not to have relationships with several people because of this, though I may have been attracted to them. I couldn't imagine more... thus there was no more. -mike

Yumi Lover said...

I agree. While it's not necessarily the most important part, it's important nonetheless. If sexual attraction isn't instant, I think it occurs after the 1st getting to know you session, and if it doesn't it just isn't there. And how can you be truly intimate with someone without both physical and mental intimacy? When it's just mental, then they're just friends.

Anonymous said...

I actually just wrote about this myself - Not sure if I agree with that statement altogether, because like I said, there are people who I haven't liked at first, because I wasn't physically attracted to them, but after getting to know them, the attraction grew both mentally and physically. It's like you said, "growing into sexual attraction."

Emily said...

I agree with Krystin... I've grown into some people in terms of attraction. But once I'm actually in the relationship, part of what fuels the relationship is the passion that makes you rip clothes.

Not because what's underneath is perfect and attractive in every way upon first glance, but because you love and are passionate about what's under the clothes (and that includes personhood, not just a physical body!)

Also being "allowed" to do that to someone supposes a level of physical trust that sometimes is missing in our little autonomous lives. That applies to friends too... there is a trust when you can hold hands or sleep next to your best friend, regardless of sex or age or whatever.