Friday, January 03, 2003

So i owe u a story no? well no not really cuz none of you have computers right now so uwouldnt know the differene anyway eh? but anyway with sweaty feet in 70 degree weather in an internet cafe in barcelona i shall tell u the story of the past few days.

We start our story in the fairy tale city of Avignon, france. Avignon is a small walled city approx 80 thousand people but its the biggest city within an hour so its not like park, cuz we got minneapolis. So I woke up at a decent time, 20 mins before check out which is more than enough so i took my time to brush my teeth, put on my boots and such. I did have to pack up all my shit without waking my french roommate (the guy and i had lived together for a week and said one word to eachother in that entire time) but he seemed nice, just antisocial. anyway since i dont have much shit, it wasnt hard to pack at all. getting out the door, 2 feet from his head with all my gear did seem a challenging task and i failed miserably so i said "pardon" as i left his life forever. I made my way to the train station getting there just in time to catch an earlier train to my destination of choice, toulouse ( abig city about 3 hours away). The trip included a short layover in Montpellier france which made my day cuz i wanted to see that city anyway.

So train rides through southern france are rather incredible, cuz u go through a small town every 20 mins and there is a castle or a old church or something rediculously amazing in each little place, and these towns really dont seem to notice that they have a 500 hundred year old castle as their center of town. they just go on livin like it aint no thang. So yeah great scenery. On this trip though i guy asked me for a cig. I of course dont smoke. So i said sorry i dont have one, but offered him some gum which he accepted, then a piece to his friend, and conversation soon took place. It was difficult but we got by. they lived in montpellier and were scamming the train system cuz they new there was no one to check this particular route so no tickets for them. mine cost 25 bucks a fee i'd wished i had not paid.
so we somewhat chatted about travelling and some other stuff, like baby talk, but it worked. then when we got there they asked if i wanted to walk around with them in my 2 hour layover and they showed me some of the famous shit in montpellier. which is a beautiful city as far i could tell and i will return some day.

Now the reason i believe in karma. (also i do know that karma isnt supposed to work in the same lifetime, but it does so shaw to you)

I was sitting in the train station, or rather laying down, and i saw a dog shat on the floor. This is a common thing since the french love their dogs and wouldnt dream about picking up after them (so every city has more dog shit then u have ever seen in your life) but anyway this was right in the middle of a "high traffic zone" and i looked around and no one else bothered to do anything so i didnt. So of course later in toulouse i stepped in the nastiest shite i have ever seen or smelled and had to use the shower of my way too expensive hotel room(in a min) to clean my boot not to bathe in.

so as for that aformentioned hotel room.

When i got toulouse i went to the hotels my stolen\traded guide book told me to go to, and all of them were "complet" which means no vacancy. So i kept walking around full packs, and everything for about 3-4 hours looking for hotels finding only 30-40 stuff and it was all too much. Even an old lady wouldnt take me in for under 30.
Its weird too cuz in venice (a tourist city) they would budge on the price. In marseille a city only a few hours away, they would budge on the price, but toulouse was like " fuck you american moneky" and i was like ok, i will go to barcelona early.
SO i went to the train station, explained to the lady i needed to be in barcelona the next day, she said ok printed me off a bunch of things and smiled and i was like "oh yes" the one she said was the best left at 7 and got there at 12 whih sounded wonderful until i realized it was 7 in the morning and i would have to stay the night in toulouse. so i went out to the bus station which was closed, and stepped in the dog shit, and then went out to find a hotel again. I finally found one for 27 and said ok 1 night. then i went out to see all the sites in toulouse in the rain. which was fun, oh was it fun. (sarcasm just doesnt work online no?)


So i got back at like 10 and asked the guy for a 6 am wake up call and he said ok. so i planned shit that night went to bed at like 12, woke up at 6:20 to a shitty wake up call. If it werent for my alarm i'd have been fucked but THEN i got to the train station and the ticket office was closed for the day. which sucked ass(at the time) the info people told me to get on the train i wanted and the conducter guy would sell me a ticket, then at the next train station i could buy one. So i did that. I meet some mexican cats going to barcelona and kinda just followed them. bought the ticket to a small town in or near andorra (another country, in the mountains) and when we got there, the ticket office was "ferme" which means closed. "great" i thought, i hopped on the next train to barcelona. more in a sec

No comments: