Saturday, October 11, 2008

materialism and other moody jazz

I spent an hour and a half at a laundromat today doing my laundry. It had been anywhere from 3 weeks to a month. How do I know that? I had 30 t shirts in the wash.
It cost me like 17 bucks. Which I was willing to pay so that i could avoid the 5-6 hours it would have taken me at my parents house. While I was thinking about how much money that was, I decided to see how many hours of work it cost me. Don't ever do this. I realized today that I make a little more than 10 bucks after taxes. If I had bills and loans and all that I would be fucked with this amount of money. As it is a third of my money goes to taxes and insurance. A third of what is left goes to rent. Another third goes to gas and food. leaving me with a third of the 2/3s (after taxes) for anything fun I want to do. New cds, etc.
Realizing this I was frustrated. Then realized I have a month's worth of clothes... and got more frustrated.
Who needs a month worth of clothes? Wouldn't I be better off with say 2 weeks worth of t shirts, and a few sweatshirts I wear every day. I already have cut the amount of pants I wear down to about 5 pairs (per month) as I tend to wear one each week.
But then I thought about how our society pushes you to wear something new every day. Something clean. I wear 3 shirt a day now that it is cold. 1 t shirt, 1 long sleeve, 1 sweatshirt/sweater. Thats a lot of fucking clothes. And by the standards of our society they are needed.
I know I am just moody today. I don't know why, I mean I don't have anything to actually complain about... I am complaining about having too much right now. Thats how sad my life is.
But I think its just feeling exhausted and drained of energy. Then I eat candy and pop which totally helps things!(exclamation point = sarcasm)
My fortune cookies tried to cheer me up. one said I was beautiful and should use that to my advantage, which I thought was sort of gross. One said I have common sense and a lot of charm... thanks fortune cookie. One said my moment of glory will soon be here -which I hope it doesn't because A) I am not wanting any glory B) it would suck to have my "moment of glory" when I am feeling grumpy.


I am just not interested... and that sucks.
This movie I watched last night had a character who was struggling with anger, his wife asked him why. In a moment of honest he said "because I'm impotent." She said not really all that often... he said "not sexually impotent, just impotent."

I thought that was kind of a beautiful use of the word.

righteous, anyway... moody nothingness, I should find something real to complain about.

No comments: