Friday, October 31, 2008

Aa-shuu Dekei-oo

Do I really have anything to say?
Not really... just seemed like it had been a while.

Work is going well. We just had an overnight in which the kids are basically asked to stay up till about 5 am together.

I overheard conversations about drugs, school, sex, music, art, personality, cigarettes, changes at school, life, politics, sex, cigarettes, pregnancy, food, parties, movies, music, cigarettes and sex.

Its odd to be in the position where these conversations appeal and yet you cant jump right in.
For example, at one point a kid made a joke about people having sex in a room (its happened before) they said it smelled like sweat... I said I think sex smells are a little bit more distinctive, the kid then said something like "ew gross mike, get out of here... I don't want to hear my teachers talk about that." which is funny because we have a class every other day about sex.

At another point, I overheard a girl on the stairs complaining loudly that she couldnt find anyone to have sex with (that morning). She was complaining to a guy friend by yelling this.

And I thought "amen sister."

I did have some good conversations, but mainly with staff. Its so weird that there really is that disconnect between students and staff... even when there is such a small age difference.

Most of the time when I am not teaching I feel kind of awkward... I don't have a role and honestly no one wants to talk to the teacher.

One of my students is trying to get me to talk shit to him. Several of the boys tend to look for those kinds of role models, the kind they can take and give punches with. To them it means you care.
Bold
Love life
is pretty much non existent. We had a woman come in and talk about STIs the other day. I think I am very attracted to people who openly talk about sex in a fun and funny way.

There are probably three people who I have thought might be interesting to get to know. The problem is, I don't make moves. Especially not at work. It wouldn't be appropriate.

Other stuff
- I found out the coffee shop I wanted to go to for open mics closed. Sad.
I have been playing a lot of SPORE the computer game.
I have no life.
I think I am looking for something to do, but that doesn't require a lot of effort, thats why the computer game appeals. Its hard lately to have a lot of energy for other things. Sometimes other people.

Friends - I guess that leads me to this category. I haven't really been a very good friend lately to anyone. I am not sure why, other than I doesn't seem to have the appeal... and thats terrible. I think its also weird because now that I am in minneapolis I tend to want to hang with old friends... almost none of whom are actually available... so I don't. I think its just that in this setting I expect them, feel comfortable with them. Not that I don't have a good time with newer friends.

Politics
, you know I never even registered... which means I have to go with a neighbor or roommate. The polling place is across the street. I'm excited for it to be over. Start something new. Also I am worried about the senate race. I think no matter what the country will be headed in a better direction. But I dont want James to lose. Also, a staff member was asking me about the races last night, and I went into my typical sort of "non-bias" talk that I do at school rather than my personal stuff... he said "it sounds like you are voting for Coleman" I was like, uh no, I actually cant stand that guy... I'm just so personally biased that I cant talk to people about this unless I try to be more evenhanded. I think he understood.

No comments: