Saturday, May 07, 2011

Today felt good

Sometime around 4 in the morning I talked to Becky on Skype, that was nice.
I then slept for another 8 hours and woke up in the early afternoon. I spent some time doing nothing and then decided I should shave and comb my hair (seems to be something I do every 3 months now).
After that I walked to Dunn Bros where I got about half of my grading done and finished a book I started last week. I really enjoyed the book and it made me really happy.
Then I walked home with a plan to check my e mail and respond to some things I had let go, followed by two hours or so of piano practice (a very hard song, but I am getting there slowly).
Then I typed and edited a bunch of poetry from the past few years and updated the other blog.

Tomorrow I have SoT and Mothers day dinner.
I am thinking of going to see Thor.
Tuesday and Wednesday I am seeing cats from Morris.
Some of the other days are in the works.

This upcoming week I think will be rather hard and stressful again.
Work has been obnoxiously frustrating...
Mostly dealing with student issues, in addition I guess to ongoing concerns regarding testing, and other administration stuff plus this time of year we have all these added events (graduation, Cabaret benefit etc).
I had a lot of students turn in midtrimester evals, but I am still worried we will be losing a bunch of students... which means low enrollment next year and a repeated cycle of revenue losses (which means either taking on more students or losing staff -according to our administrators).

Specifically this week though we have an activity day that we still don't have completely planned out. We are thinking of making a large art project (that would take all 50 students) and a sped up video of the process. 
It seems like it will require a lot of work... and is making the whole staff tense. Anything big is going to be hard right?  
We are slowly losing some of our trouble makers (despite huge progress in many of them) but we aren't having a whole lot of students step up to provide leadership for each other... which is odd because according to research it should happen naturally.... or maybe it is happening and our leadership is leading the other way.

So this week is the activity day, next week the benefit, the following week a picnic and the following week we evals (finals) up until graduation. 
Then a week off (finally)
and then summer school -which is completely unplanned as of right now. I might try to call in every favor I have... maybe all of my brilliant friends will want to teach a class.

No comments: