Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Celebration of all things Hipster

Down the street are multiple stages, booths and bars all celebrating the glory of Lyn-Lake, or a good time, or being stylish and alternative. 


As I was sitting in the Dunn Bros I often go to for smoothies and Rice Krispie bars I couldn't help but notice the parade of pretty people walking by, sometimes by themselves other times in groups of 3 to 7. I started feeling like I was missing out on something bigger. Like maybe there were dreams that could be fulfilled just down the street at the Lyn-Lake Street Festival. Only at the conjunction of Lyndale and Lake street could such a party exist and apparently only in Minnesota (not that I believe this article in any way).

Anyway, I sped down the street (by sped I mean I dropped off my car and checked my e mail before walking back down the street) fighting the sun and the Morris MN like wind, I finally made it to my destination only to be overwhelmed by the youthful fashionista event.

I did run into 2 former students, 1 current student, and one friend from college... but other than that it was pretty much just full of people you would want to take an artsy photograph or do a sketch of.... but when there are so many its a little much. In my heart I went there to find someone to have deep conversations and dirty sex with, but you can't help but feel like its just one big art project. Like a live museum, and when there are so many art pieces and its impolite to stare, they all start to look like globs of paint in sunglasses, random scribbles in sun dresses, shades of sun light all in silk and tight pants.  Fashion and face paint are beautiful when I don't have to recognize that you are faking it. Hipster town USA, you're pretty and petty. 

No comments: