Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Why so angry?

Taken from someone's facebook post

I was trying to figure out why this photo and caption angered me so much.
The first thing I did was look up pictures online to see if it was real... I'd guess this fetus is between 12-14 weeks from what I saw online.

In many ways this is brilliant propaganda, is that why it bothers me?
Do I feel an attachment toward this human?  I mean I am tempted to say it is not yet a human, but who cares, its a protohuman right, so why is it so frustrating.

I have been thinking about this argument I was in with my step mom, my dad wants to have lunch tomorrow, and I got worried that maybe it was like in retaliation. Which is dumb, but I was readying myself for combat.  

When someone else makes a good point, we recoil, sometimes lash out, but sometimes its just a good point.   I think my frustration with this photo is not so much in the piece itself, that's kind of adorable (trying to recreate the classic baby in a hand photo), but rather in those who use it, "it literally might save a life" as if re-posting that picture "saves" that life. Keeps it from being one of the starving, abandoned, abused, diseased, neglected, alienated or violated in a million other ways.   Not that life can't be good when it is painful, life can still be good, but why can't we try to make it easier for the living instead of guilt tripping them into bringing about more?

I have been reading about the horrors brought about by ecological destruction. The wars, plagues, droughts, disasters.  Almost all of which were brought about by overpopulation. 
A funny subject to talk about when one is planning on taking a fertility test and hopefully conceiving a child... but for those not ready to take on the responsibility -why push?

No comments: