Friday, June 17, 2011

Last night was a good night. I got to hang with lace and people watch at a cool tattoo event. 
Later did some soul searching with Russ followed by a movie that attempted to do the same.

We saw The Tree of Life, both of us felt it wasn't  a good date movie, a little pretentious, but not entirely awful... beautiful imagery and beautiful music. Good acting during the scenes with acting...

Anyway I was most struck by the music and visuals during a scene of the creation of the universe. 

this piece was used as one of the climatic elements... (the music not the pictures)
Lacrimosa dies illa,
Qua resurget ex favilla
Judicandus homo reus.

Huic ergo parce, Deus :
Pie Jesu Domine,
Dona eis requiem.

Ah! that day of tears and mourning!
From the dust of earth returning,
Man for judgement must prepare him:

Spare, O God, in mercy spare him!
Lord, all pitying, Jesu blest,
Grant them Thine eternal rest.
I am sad that it isn't on the soundtrack which I hurried home and bought online.   The soundtrack is mostly the original music for the film and there is some good stuff but it doesn't have any of the epic choral pieces that are used during the best parts of the film...

honestly close your eyes and just listen to that... I think I saw a guy crying during this scene... and had I been in a less critical place, a more emotive space... I could imagine this piece moving me like that.


A more complete list of music used in the film can be found here though they have original arrangements not the ones used in the film specifically. 


No comments: