Saturday, June 27, 2009

When Death Becomes us

I just watched this (the Last Lecture), it was recommended to me by my step grandparents and though I don't specifically find any of the advice to be mind shattering, it does have me thinking.

I like some of the advice. I wonder what advice I have.

I recently read a book called The Speaker for the Dead, a science fiction novel in which people act as speakers for a dead person, not telling their life story, but their purpose. Telling the grieving or the audience what the person's motivations were... holding nothing back and at times being cruelly honest. I like the idea. I wish there was a way we could do that, both for the dead and the living.
Of course its harder with the living, not so final... but with the dead I like the idea of a legacy that fits, rather than a legacy that comforts, and yet, when thinking of the Last Lecture, what would I say if I could have one last lecture? I would try to comfort, give hope, be honest, but not dwell on misery and pain, nor guilt and suffering though I have caused these things... I would hope that people could learn something positive.

No comments: