Saturday, June 27, 2009

The work that we do

Well its been about 11 days without a post. I am pretty sure it was a week or two before that series too. So I guess I owe ya one.

Whats up?

Good question, hmm... well, last week we returned to school. Summer school lasts for 1 month. 4 days a week of the same classes and then 1 day of independent work and projects. Thursdays we tend to go on a 1 hour field trip. Classes are supposed to be fun and interesting... I am teaching about the future, so far we have talked about 2012, Revelations/Judgment Day and zombie apocalypse. Next week we will look at other gloomy subjects like overpopulation, nuclear war, global pandemics, drought, etc. After that we may look at some demographic data, watch a video on what happens when humans are gone, and start to talk about future technology.
The class is going well I guess, but a lot of the students like to talk out of turn... so I will have to crack down on that a bit. Otherwise school is going well. I get out early and in general its pretty fun and non challenging. My homeroom has chosen to read POE and it made me realize that it takes work to deconstruct and analyze something if you havent read it before... the kids barely understand the language so I have to translate it... then help them with their analysis.

I have some students who wanted to jazz up the school website. So far they have adjusted the colors and updated it slightly... I guess in a few weeks we will add pictures, (video?) some student work and a few more pages to help bring us into the 20th century.
You can look up the school it is at lnas.org


What else...

Well generally when I am not writing it means I am complaining enough to other people. I have seen probably 15 different friends in the last few weeks... not all by seeking them out, but seems like a lot considering I haven't changed up my patterns too much.
Most days though, I get a smoothie from jamba juice and retreat to my room. Lately I have been watching The Wire, but I am only on season two, so don't tell me anything.

May or may not finish the book on faith that I was reading, also half reading a book on hip hop/urban/philanthropy etc... and just started a book on white provilege.

I wish I could say I had some great thoughts for ya... but doesn't seem to be the case.
Saw Away We Go and fuckin loved it.

Went to the Bryant Lake Bowl Pride block party last night, good times. Hung out with Hallie, and later in the middle of the night Jessica...


Most my days revolve around work and checking for updates on craigslist.

No comments: