Thursday, August 06, 2015

Day 3 of work

My feet hurt and the longest shift I've worked is 3.5 hours. Tomorrow I have another three hour one. 

I have been working on drinks, recognizing the abbreviations for each drink, which milk, which preparation, which syrups/sauces, whip or froth?

That sort of thing. My steaming game still needs some work, though I've now steamed about 30 drinks. (That is a rough guess). I've  made almost every type of standard drink from lattes to icecremas, mochas to nirvanas, brewed coffee to ice tea. 

There are still a million things to learn. Like I still don't know where anything is in the store. I don't know the computer. The food.  How to bake stuff. The extras. I've been assured those are all the simple things that come later once you have the drinks down. 

Everyone is being generous and lovely with their support. I read the training guide today and noticed we skipped some things but we were pretty far through the list. 

I still feel a sense of panic and anxiety about it all. I am sure at some point it will be like muscle memory, but right now it's a difficult push through my brain on almost every step - which means I can multitask like the other baristas can. I don't think there is as much urgency at this location as I am feeling internally, but the few times it's gotten busy it felt like an incoming storm. 

It's strange how separate my worlds feel. Jodi will ask me questions about outside life and I'm just trying to stay focused.  
Yet yesterday it was nearing 9pm and I was so deeply into the story I was writing that I didn't want to pry myself away to go home and sleep. 

It made me happy. But my bills will soon be piling up if I don't start writing at home. Oh also I should be moving into the Minneapolis place when I get back. 

No comments: