Sunday, February 05, 2012

purpose --> passion

One of my favorite riotfolk.org songs has the line "and God didn't give her a soul but art did." I think its funny how despite my faith I find that a really beautiful and true statement. Regardless of the "soul" we have at birth, its not until we find our passions that we have any sense of who we are, where we are headed.

Yesterday I was sitting with Aleks at Spyhouse on Hennepin. We were discussing, organizing, politics, teaching, leadership, personal barriers to our accepting responsibility, and I (at least) was enjoying the conversation, but didn't quite know where it was going (despite the fact that I asked him there for "business" reasons).
So first off you should come to Alek's event on Feb 11th Winter Wonder Walk/Ride
and my event on Mar 18th

Anyway, Aleks is discussing how e is easily swayed by a beautiful woman to do the things he actually wants to do but normally wouldn't, and mid conversation he starts paying more attention to the woman at the table next to us and the wild story she is telling.
This embarrasses her enough that she has to retell us the story, and Aleks proceeds to flirt with her/have some really good honest fun conversations.
Turns out she is a prof at the U, turns out she is with a group of students, and former students who are from all over the world. Turns out half the group is gay, turns out they like our flyers.
Turns out they want to have some conversations on the topics that we are discussing too.

At this point it felt, pretty wonderful, kind of human and magical... to just meet random people, find connections learn to appreciate each other with ease. I think more than half of this comes from the fact that almost the entire table were people who had left their home country to enjoy the fruits of the world, and Aleks and I have both done our fair share of traveling. One could also chalk it up to the go-getter connector nature that Aleks exhibits with ease (yet doesn't seem to recognize the power of).

But it made me feel, just right, like the purpose of being at Spyhouse had been affirmed, doubly (aleks, and the table).
So then we are getting up to leave and this guy comes over and says "Hi I overheard you, I am very interested in what you are doing, I run a radio program that talks about spiritual issues and work with a group of spiritual progressives, here's my card. Get in contact with me"  basically.
triple score

There is this feeling I used to get all the time while traveling that things had come together as they should.
Yesterday they did.
Its one of the moments that comes every 6 years and tells you you are on the right path-keep it up.

No comments: