Saturday, February 23, 2008

(from mike's school journal's)


Economics

So after staying up late to grade papers in which most of the students end up getting better scores than they deserve (because it takes too long to actually grade every little thing), and noticing that the failure rate on tests, or the low grade rate is pretty high (though our last test was pretty good, very few C’s lots of B’s and D’s). After having two very hectic history periods (everything accomplished, but stressfully).

And noticing that none of the students had bothered to do the reading, and didn’t understand the concepts very well…

I was a little fed up. So when they went off to lunch, I passed out 5 worksheets and 2 quizzes on each desk.

When they returned they were shocked to find all these colorful sheets of paper on their desks, and began complaining.

When everyone returned I asked how many students felt stressed- Many raised their hands. Then I asked them a series of questions about their age and preparedness, and how much time they were putting into school. After which I reminded them that they were all 17-18, were eligible for military service and could easily be killed in a conflict they don’t understand in a country they can’t find on a map, would be tried as adults for any crimes they committed, could easily fall into debt, could fail out of school etc… and then told them the truth about why we teach… We don’t want these things to happen, without them knowing the consequences beforehand. We want them to understand the things that are going on in their lives, and want them to be on top of the circumstances that seem to push them around. (I was more articulate then I am right now).

Basically I said these things and explained why I was frustrated and then gave them the sort of peace offering… I am here to help… etc… but I am also new to this and need their help, their commitment etc. And then I said they could use their notes for the quizzes, and that the worksheets would be due on Monday but that they could get extra points for having them all done, and that the real reason they were due Monday was because the test was on Tuesday and I didn’t want them to have extra work that night.

I’m not sure if I got through to them, but they paid attention the rest of the hour, and when they had time to work, several of the students who struggle in the class came up and asked questions…

I like to think of it as a temporary victory at least.

No comments: