Monday, May 31, 2021

sleepy eyed on Memorial Day

 


Some things I've pondered today:

If I've protected my peace by removing obstacles and challenges, then maybe I didn't learn anything at all? Maybe I need to add more challenge to learn more...


Arguing about whether this country cares about people with someone who votes to lower taxes, probably isn't a smart move on my part. As in, what's the point? When in arguments, it's much more effective to think about why the person is taking the stance they are taking, rather than listen to their arguments. 


I am getting more cynical about the way social justice and critical race theory is applied in our society, because all of the emphasis on individual responsibility reminds me of other failed social/economic/environmental justice issues, this isn't changing the structures that recreate the system again and again, and guilting white middle class liberals into "becoming woke" isn't actually gonna change it either. People in power don't care about your guilt or your guilting. We see this over and over again. The peace movement didn't end Vietnam, the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese armies using guerrilla tactics to waste US money and man power ended the war. The Civil Rights movement used shame and guilt to wake white people up and hold their leaders accountable, but now the people who are stalling progress watch Fox News. Nothing is gonna wake them. 


Being smart doesn't mean you can treat people as less than you. Being smart should mean you get a say, but if you can't be responsible with that say, then maybe you don't deserve the say either. 


It's really easy to feel like it doesn't matter if you have morals these days. Morals and ethics aren't rewarded. I am not saying "nice guys finish last," but I do think there is a certain degree to which being nice at all costs, actually hurts you in this society because our priorities are all wrong.


Lately I have this really weird egotistical self absorbed feeling that I am running a different race than everyone else. 


It's Memorial Day. Why do I put so much emphasis on my life, believing I am important etc, when literally millions have died in wars for absolutely nothing. A dead skeleton in a forgotten field. They served -maybe proudly, maybe without another choice, and they died. And nothing changed in the grand scheme of things changed. Humans move forward and back, and forward and back. Why should any life be noted for being "worthy" or more worthwhile, or more sacred? 


There are spiritual beliefs that say you signed up for this particular moment, this particular time, this particular experience and it is important to live your human life here... to absorb, recognize, hold them, grow. 

There are other spiritual beliefs that say this pittance of a life means nothing in the larger universe, your spirit lives, your body dies. Dont cling to the attachments of this. 


My ego just floats between all this bullshit, while my body accomplishes very little.










No comments: