Thursday, February 20, 2020

Jobs

Just got offered the job, but there is a catch.  A different site, a different team, different supervisors. They need a guy therapist. Seems like about half the staff have been there for 1 year and the program has been open for 4 or 5.
The location is basically the same distance from me but in a different direction.
Would be making 45k (which is the minimum I would ask for at this point). Benefits seem fine. 3% match on a 401k. About 3 weeks of PTO, so could potentially take a week vacation.

Something about it feels a little less enticing and I don't know if that's because I haven't been there to consider the space -picture myself there, or if I am just feeling a little bait and switched.
Like, these are the kinds of things that make people less interested in jobs -corporate overlords shuffle  you depending on their need, pay you the minimum, and you end up moving on before there is a cohesive culture built. This is not the job I applied for, and not the space or team I interviewed.

If I think of it as a year or two, its fine, regardless.* But some part of me wanted to buy into a longer term path... I don't know if this is it because I haven't seen it. But maybe I am just projecting. I don't need the money in the same way others might. But I have already been offered 'potential things' that were higher. I would have most evenings and weekends open, and could take on clients or do workshops or volunteer or have a life if I wanted. But I want my day job to be something I am passionate about. A place that I feel excited to go to.

Some part of me wonders if there is some personal racism/classism involved here. Different area of town than I grew up in, unfamiliar with the building. Presumably different background for some of these kids. I enjoyed all the clients I had up in that area, but it often felt like the needs of the clients were very different. Anxiety and depression in the context of lacking basics, is very different than being flush and not knowing how to fit in. What would that mean for the client population and the kind of work I'd be doing with them? Potentially this is a great change, potentially not. I don't really know.

My Dad's old boss basically offered him a position in Rochester, and he was trying to get me to take it. I don't think I want a whole new life. If I wanted that, I would move out of state. You'd have to throw me a 100k to move to Rochester, and even then, it would only be for a year or two. Not worth it.

The pay is such a funny thing. I know that 45k is enough for me to live on. I know I am newish to the particular field, but I have been working with kids and teens basically since I was one. So what does 15 years of experience get ya?  A friend of mine recently told me she switched fields to computer programming and made $70k upon entering the field with no prior experience. 15 years experience gets me $15,000 less than she makes? Seems weird right?

A year or two until I am fully licensed. Then a whole new set of opportunities to prove myself. I have entered every job I have ever taken saying 1-2 years tops, and some lasted longer and were life changing and wonderful. Some weren't. Maybe this is a great opportunity. Maybe this is a year or two. I have no idea where I will be by this time next year. If I had predicted that a year ago, I would have been very wrong. This time next year, maybe I am headed off to Mongolia. Maybe I have died of the corona virus. Maybe I am engaged to be married and have triplets on the way. Maybe I am ready to start a private practice, go to the UU seminary, go on pilgrimage to Mecca, or take up baby sitting duties for my niece and nephew. Maybe I decide I want to be a writer and an artist, and never want to work with teens again. Maybe I am super satisfied and excited to start year two?

We never really know do we.

((((After a touch of emailing.  I am going to visit the location tomorrow. We shall see. Don't let desperation make decisions for you Mike.))))







No comments: