Sunday, March 21, 2010

"Still Exists" by John Craigie

Saw your raincoat on my porch today, crumpled up next to my feet
I must admit it seemed kinda strange, cause it hasn't rained here in weeks
Funny how things in life can be like the rain, between sun and storm we don't know what is best
The rain it is long gone but your raincoat still exists

I've been growing my beard out, got it all soft like it was with us
I know you never liked my hairy face, but it sure felt good when we touched
Funny how things in life can be like hair, we remove them but they just come back so thick
Your touch it is long gone, but my beard still exists

If you were around you'd be hearing my guitar, cause I've been playing more often than usual
I guess it's the fun of being single or the pain of knowing that you could
Funny how things in life can be like songs they begin they end and then they're gone
You stopped singing me yours a long time ago but I haven't stopped thanking you for each one that I got

Because love is not a cold, love is not the flu
I don't think getting over people is what you're supposed to do
Love is a gift, thank you love.



John Craigie is a wonderful storytelling folk singer. In the middle of this song he starts to tell a story about how failing is ok, in fact it can be good... he starts to tell this story because he is reminded of a bad show he did and a sign that he saw after that said "If you haven't failed lately, you haven't tried."

Anyway he tells a story of childhood about how he sucked at baseball and how eventually this really helped his team because he was able to strike out at the key moment and win the game.

Then he continues on with the last two verses... the two stories have nothing in common, except his gentle guitar playing, humor and love, but somehow you think the whole world is related after he is done...

Its really beautiful.

No comments: