Friday, January 25, 2008

School report #4
Sorry these are long, I think I get a little carried away on different topics.
I found out today that one of the teachers at the highschool is actually younger than me, but has been working there for 2-3 years. They all seem so much older but I really enjoy the friendly dynamic between the social studies department members. They aren’t always the most professional, but it makes department meetings more interesting when someone is joking around.

That was a side note.

I have been spending most of my time preparing for the next term which starts Tuesday. The plan was to follow Ms _______ the first week (of the next term) as she lead with the first class and I lead/co-taught the second class, but I have already begun jumping in with the class that finished today. I even had several students say they would miss me though I have done very little in the classroom. It seems easy to connect with them when the age differences are so vast between me and my cooperating teachers, I guess the students feel naturally more connected to me because we can talk about the same music, and have shared (relatively) the same time period growing up. I think they also perceive me as being more patient with them, but I get nervous that I will vent my frustration with them more when I am under more pressure to perform. (So far I have felt very little nervousness in front of the students).
Anyway, what I meant is that I think Ms ____ approach is different than mine and though I appreciate her suggestions on tightening up on the students, I actually feel that so far my methods of patiently explaining why they need to be quiet etc, have been more effective. Of course I know that much of the reason she occasionally snaps at students (She sometimes gives little warning before sending a student out of the room) is because she has already explained her expectations and feels that they are purposefully seeking attention and that they ought to know better.

Well I guess that explains where I am at with discipline so far. I have a hard time following let alone enforcing rules that I don’t necessarily agree with. I think this will also become a problem as the students will most assuredly test me more when I am in a higher position of power.
I will most likely update that situation as the time goes on.

Preparing a curriculum:
It is difficult working with two teachers; I often don’t have time to discuss things with both of them though this situation is improving. I have been invited to use whatever materials they have and because they are both seasoned teachers they have a tremendous amount of worksheets, quizzes and tests. I am hoping to find some more 1 day projects to keep things active, but in general I am feeling very comfortable with the fact that if I don’t find/create something new, there is a prepared standard to fall back on. With the modern global classes I will begin teaching the second week (I believe “week 4 by our calendar) and continue on from there possibly till the last week or two. This is mostly because the units flow into each other, or because I worry about breaking up a unit to switch teachers in the middle of things, but I feel fairly confident that if I approach Ms ____ for help she will be there to either aid, or take over for a day here or there. (I don’t think this will be a problem) Already I am thinking up small items like music, videos, pictures, art, stories and primary sources to add to the curriculum, I also am hoping to bring in some projects but much of this will rely on the students’ ability to keep up with the fast paced curriculum and assigned readings. (I have been warned that they will not do the homework)

I have had my doubts about opening up the established curriculum to more world influence, because much of the time that will be lost would have had to do with important European/Western ideas, events and history. This is worrisome because the students don’t seem to have a very good understanding of history, at the same time they seem to be more intrigued by the exotic, so a day here or there to open them up to the world doesn’t seem inappropriate. It also gives me a chance to challenge the notion that Europeans and the West are the center/most important players in history which is something that is important to address in our country –to acknowledge the wealth of experience, culture, achievement of other nations at a time when it is very easy to become America-centric.

ECONOMICS
I have been researching the subject matter I will be teaching and feel more confident with taking it on. I have yet to really work out the exact order of what I will do during my 3-4 weeks of full time teaching, but in general Mr. ------ and I seem to be on the same page and his easy going nature and fairly light standards in the classroom give me a lot of confidence that I won’t be neglecting the students education if I have an off moment in the class. Still, already I have stepped up a few times to discuss the nature of a term or concept which seemed to help them understand.
When I say light standards, part of what I mean is that I am becoming more aware of the failure/grading standards of teachers in the school. Mr. ------was happy to see that several of his students had increased their efforts to get some work in before the final test, but had told me earlier that anywhere from 6-12 students were in danger of failing in just the one class. The remaining students were ranged mostly in the C and D range. This really bothered me because I felt like there must be some disconnect between the Teacher’s efforts and the student’s efforts. Today I talked to several other teachers who told me they tend to fail anywhere from 3-15 students per term (between their three classes). This still bothers me, but the fact that it is more widespread reminds me that in many of these cases it is not the teacher’s neglect but a student’s lack of effort OR inability to maintain the grade (usually due to out of school events).

During this past term (ended today) between Mr. ---- and Ms ____ in the 3 classes I have observed about 5-10 kids failed and there seemed to be about 3-5 students who dropped out as well.
these are required classes so they end up taking them again or getting GEDs.

No comments: