Saturday, December 30, 2006

On the death penalty


With the death of Saddam, I saw people cheer, I saw dancing on TV, I saw people take shots.
Now to some extent I can understand people celebrating at the death of a dictator after living under his repressive regime, but it strikes me as odd that they would do so even now while living under the fear of not knowing whats next for their country, or even what is currently going on.

As for the Americans, What did Saddam ever do to you?
Can/should one be happy at the death of someone who causes destruction?
Is that ok morally?
As far as I am concerned Saddam is not really responsible for American deaths in Iraq, but do other people think he should be?
If the war were really about removing a dictator, is he responsible for all fighting after his removal?

I dont know... I still see Saddam as a puppet, sure a little crazed, but a regional dictator held in by countries that oppose him seems better to me than chaos that inspires fear in its neighbors.
When Lebanon sank in to chaos Isral, Syria and the United States all invaded to secure it and ended up promoting different factions that lead to further choas... I see parallels with iraq right now.

No comments: