Thursday, September 28, 2006

Im listening to No Doubt's Return to Saturn. A Cd that took them something like 5 years, and what we get from Gwen is a reestablishing of her feminist ideals to include her insecurities and secret desires.... the break up of the relationship she had based so many of her earlier songs on, a source of strength that had let her mock patriarchy with "im just a girl" and video scenes in which she liberates herself realizing that the prince would never really come...
Return to Saturn has so many references to what seem like abusive (emotionally) situations that its hard to really be sure whats going on... Is saying you love to wash in (his) old bathwater as equally liberating? Is it feminism, is it a woman just trying to be herself? is it a call for help?

As you may have guessed these are thoughts im pondering for real life situations, just seems an interesting background.

She talks about family situations, wanting to get married having babies...
She talks about how her image is fake, how she feels strength in that because those who know are the ones she is vulnerable to, and shes afraid to be vulnerable.

Is entitlement a male thing? I just heard of a situation and it reminded me of things I have said, and I wonder if Im wrong, or if Im right to stand up for myself, but wrong to assume that a woman would too.

Gabi told me she doesnt assume people will change in a relationship... and I wonder if this is a self defeating attitude or if it (given standards) is the ideal to pursue. If it is true that that is the ideal, than should we try to make up for mistakes, try to forgive or just accept/move on? When a person disappoints, doesnt match up, breaks are trust...

Well.... I dont like Gwen's dance music or even the previous No Doubt cd(big disappointment), but that doesnt mean I assume she or they are so different, I wasnt sure about the changes betwen Tragic Kingdom and Return to Saturn, but I felt it was an honest portrayal (not disappointing)... but I didnt buy in to them just because I had liked them in the past. ((((Im trying to figure out, if something silly like everyday music choices is the same process overall that we take in life)))))


but I dont really know...
anyway.... what is feminism anyway? how do we find equality in relationships when there are always certainly differences between our perceptions, and also in different areas of life and the relationship always ineqality....

whatever

No comments: