Saturday, August 06, 2005

seemed like a week

"and i cant tell you, how many ways that i've sat and viewed my life today, but i can tell you, i dont think that i can find an easier way, so if i see you walkin hand in hand in hand with a three armed man, i'll understand, but you should have been in my shoe yesterday" (blind melon)

I was out in sioux falls ("the sioux empire, siouxland, keloland") fucking rediculous advertising (the first two make me disgusted and the second is just too fucking in you face, not that any of you know what im talking about)

I got maybe a third, or half of the interviewing i wanted to talk to my gramps about, its not hard, more just hard to keep him on track and get him o talk about what you want him to. i had a list of topics not yet discussed when i left, which means im going back sometime, hopefully soon. we didnt get to many of the hard topics(though he claims he'spen to anything im sure hes avoiding certain subjects)

we went to visit my gramp's older brother in his nursing home thing. It was really hard for my grampa even though he talks and looks tough, I asked him on camera while we were there what he thought of the place, and he said "i wouldnt ever want to be here.." he contemplates the amount of pain/delusion his brother goes through and wonders if he is happy. With his younger brother already passed, his older brother soon, his wife gone for about 15-16 years, odds are my gramps is on his way. Its really important for me to get to know him and do these interviews.
and if he kicks on for another 20 years than we can keep the video updated.

my uncle has been fighting a few charities about moving their facilities to the neighborhood our family grocery store has been in for 56 years. Its a very complicated case, because its not that he is against the shelters and soup kitchens, but the people of his neighborhood are already working class, low income people, and the soup kitchens and shelters give the people who are homeless food and shelter, ((((sometimes even if they drunk))) which is the issue, because the drunken roaming folk have been causing trouble in the neighborhood, (going to the bathroom on lawns, sleeping in people's walk ins, etc) So my uncle is fighting city hall to get them to keep the facilities down town where the homeless guys arent in a neighborhood. (yes i know that this is one of those issues you can look at from many angles, and i think in may ways my uncle if he is going to push against this should be looking for alterntative to help the charities. but anyway) my uncle describes himself as liberal thinking and a registered republican, similar to my dad(and sometimes his wife)

we went out with another one of my uncle's while we were there and hes a great guy but hes a convervative bible thumping republican and I didnt openly say anything but i found at least one sentence he said to be pretty sad and silly.

"this sort of thing goes on all the time, i mean how do you think the people down by the border feel, they got guys coming through their backyeards stealing, killing people, you know, and im sure they are just as...." you get the point, so apparently every person who crosses a border is trying to steal from you and kill you.

anyway, me and steve had some good conversation on the way home, inbetween several stops to go to the bathroom. one of which the guy openly profiled me and we had a conversation about, mentioned that he wrote down my license plate anyway. i thought it was funny, because hes a gas station attendant so whoopy, but i aint taking that shit from people in authority. anyway...

I came home really loving the world and people in it and im glad you are around, and i wish i could be there to hang out and have your back more often.
I may not always be a good guy, but im trying and i hope you know i would be there if i knew how.

_____________________________

No comments: