Thursday, July 21, 2005

to clarify the last stuff my last name is ha--ar an americanized variation of hajjar a very common arabic (especially lebanese syrian) last name, im not entirely sure but hajjar may come from "stone" or "stoneworker" which would technically be the same thing jesus was. also hagar is a woman in the early sections of the bible. my name michael is also biblical, michael is an archangel, there are two clearly obvious biblical characters named joesph in the bible as well (jesus's father, and joseph with the coat) both josephs in a senses were able to support and allow their people to thrive considering both were ridiculed and oppressed and different times. The reason i say all this is my family is lebanese, some lebanese people claim to be arab, others do not but they are all part of that magical family that brought about three of the world's largest religions. so i felt especially offended when i realized that the custom's agents who have stopped me very well could have recognized my last name as being tied to this area of the planet (the middle east) and profiled... my dad was recently also taken aside, though he was okay with it,(which bothers me) and it bothers me that many people all over the country with my same last name and other arabic names are not being given the respect and fair treatment theu deserve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike that is a really good poem you wrote, I never knew that was the history of your last name. I am very impressed with your talent, and always have a special respect for people who can write poems as well as you do, mostly because I've never had the knack for it ever in my life. I think it's great how you can express your feelings and thoughts through poetry. And don't ever think you talk too much, especially when you are in the company of friends. We wouldn't be your friends if we didn't accept that about you! So yeah, have fun on your road trip and chilling with your friends. Hope to see you again before school starts!
~Krystin