Monday, October 12, 2015

Walked around a bunch today with a friend. She made it very plain that I could have dated her if I'd ever asked, but she was trying to confirm that I am loveable, in that way, if I wanted to be. 

It was interesting because she was also frustrated with me, almost scolding me for never making a move, and what that meant in terms of the way I've chosen to be her friend and not her romantic partner. 

I got a little emotional, like sad that I've chosen to deny myself a lot... But at the same time I knew that I was also just responding empathetically. I wasn't interested in that way, so I didn't act. If I'd made the choice to act, we'd likely not be friends today. 

While we were out I was stealing looks at other people. Curious about them. I was staring at beautiful things and taking them in. I was listening and responding to her, but also in my own world, and that too validated for me the choices I've made. 

But it leaves me wondering what I'm looking for, whether I'm actually looking at all, and to what extent I'm honest with myself about it all vs people pleasing. 

The fall colors were mesmerizing. Beautiful paintings all around.


No comments: