Saturday, October 15, 2011

We are the 99% and other ideas.

Yesterday I went to Illy's to do some reading. I am really into this book Moneyball which is also a major motion picture I haven't seen yet. I am not at all sure how they could possibly turn this book into a movie... except by showing the story instead of talking about it, but regardless that would not be the book. The book quite entertainingly takes a look at the odd way baseball was once thought of, and shows how one team taking a very different approach was far more effective with far less resources, by mostly focusing on the right statistics. This would be a dry subject if it were not for the great personality profiles that make heroes out of little known people... which makes it interesting enough that someone like me who has no interest in baseball actually wants to watch the sport. 

Staying up late watching Chopped and reading lead me to not attend a geography conference today that also sounded pretty good... instead I decided to sleep in... which caused me to miss the peace rally as well... but I did go down to the OccupyMN anyway to see the tent set up. 
The police promised to pull down any structures that were set up... but they haven't yet. They promised to do so about 4-5 hours ago, but they are waiting for the media attention to dismiss and for any bystanders to move on (the fewer arrests the better for the police).
The protesters are of course counting on arrests, dramatic escalation is how you get attention and better results. So basically the police are being as smart as possible... war of attrition. 

You can watch the livefeed a good portion of the day here OccupyMN 
sometimes the chitchat is funny, sometimes it is really annoying.
 I saw a bunch of people I knew down there... but its weird to talk to them because they are all in the middle of leading a movement. 

Hmmm  other thoughts. I would be at a housewarming right now but stupid rivalries and uncomfortabilities get in the way.

Wednesday night I am getting together with Krystin and Alicia, maybe check out a movie and dinner. 

Thursday is the EdMN conference, gonna check that out with Emily S and maybe some others?

 Tomorrow is the CTUL Festival for Justice is tomorrow from 1-7 PM
Spirit of Truth tomorrow at 11AM
Hanging with Jess V probably tomorrow night...

 

No comments: