Monday, October 24, 2011

I only saw Lifter Puller once, and didn't appreciate them at all... Craig Finn reminded me of Woody Allen
which was creepy...
but I learned to love them through the mixes Kristen and Tim would give me. 
Learned to love that sound, the lyrics, the stories about characters that became your friends, and drugs with people names, his yelling/singing, and now I dig the Hold Steady as well.

I was introduced to a lot of bands that way, I never bought their cds -I think I kind of assumed I could always burn them later... or maybe that they had exposed me to the best of them. 
I could go for one of those mixes now. One of those ones I didn't quite appreciate till a year after they gave it to me.

I was driving home thinking about fate and loneliness. I often think of these two things together. I wonder if my obsession with and relating to the story of Joseph (of technicolor dream coat fame)  lead me to believe that I just had to follow the path. That all things that needed to would be put before me, that paths of my choosing were never really of my choosing, and that all calamities were just the devices to get me to where I needed to be. 

I wish I could look on these stories as an adult instead of as a child -with child's eyes. I could see the faults and darkness surrounding these heroes, instead of reading only their heroic qualities. I could see them for what they were, the humans that they were. Then maybe I could still see myself in a positive light without being so judgmental of the dark.

No comments: