Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The small fixes

I am not sure if it was the shopping, or the moving around, or the sugar fix, but I was feeling rather down and drab, and then I wasn't. I can feel it returning a bit right now... its sad to think I go from fix to fix throughout the day to keep my mood up.

Tomorrow we are going camping in Wisconsin.
We will have probably 35-40 students (some can't come, some probably shouldn't)...
still this camping trip has brought a lot more anxiety than the last ones... Not since my first year has it been so stressful... new location, different perspectives, huge distance, more students who have never camped with us before... 
Still after school today 6 kids stayed after and helped one of my coworkers set up tents to see if we had all the parts... other students have already brought their tents and gear in.
Maybe it will go really well... maybe all the fear is for nothing... but honestly as much as this new location is an awesome place (it truly is...)
I still like the Baker Park site, I like sitting around and not having scheduled activities... I like not having a role except to make sure everyone is physically there, a time to bond with the students not be the boss.

I've been having to set some of those boundaries a lot lately... these new students haven't found the right balance of push and pull and the older students haven't jumped into the leadership responsibilities that are needed.  I asked a student who has been around for years to turn his frustration that his food was stolen into a message that "we could all respect each other a little more"   he stated his frustration, but never stepped up to make a real change.

I've had to gear like all my classes around the idea that student's can take responsibility, can learn to be confident, can learn to take on the leadership roles... but when they have the chance they back down... just a bit frustrating.

Well when I get back tomorrow (around noonish) I am guessing a shower and bed will be the agenda for friday... sat maybe a movie with shultz  and  the roomies are having a housewarming... i don't know how many people I know will be attending.
Monday some cats are shrimping.

To the innocent victims of the santorum neologism
(funniest word ever following that word... cum on... you get it... )

Listening to new Chili Peppers album... obviously chili peppers, but sadly missing my favorite element.... still I am not opposed to it.  There are definitely some good songs... or at least I have noticed many good parts of songs. Also I think flea has gotten way better at using the bass effectively for not only rhythm but melody in songs.

No comments: