Sunday, January 09, 2011

I was gonna make you a video... but I didn't like how any of them turned out. 

People say I am a decent performer, I get fairly good responses from open mics... but I never ever like the way the video's turn out when I am just fucking around. 

I don't know what it is exactly... between sound quality and  just looking awkward they never seem good. 


I have been watching a lot of john frusciante covers.
He has a really hard voice to cover for several reasons... 
A) He sings in falsetto a lot
B) He sometimes purposefully holds notes starting out of tune and then going into tune. 
C) He uses his voice like an instrument a lot, going from soft vocals to screaming in seconds...
D) He overdubs his own stuff so sometimes he hits multiple notes on the same vocals (so when you do it by yourself it doesn't sound right)
E) Sometimes the lyrics are unintelligible.
F) anyone who is also doing the guitar parts has all of these troubles vocally, plus musically since he does the same things with the guitar... so it makes it really hard to do everything.
This leads to anyone trying to do a cover to sometimes having to make up their own versions.

This is a song I performed at an open mic once: This guy does a fairly decent job although his italian accent is a little hard on some of the lyrics.





The actual lyrics are: 

Carried through the road so far alone
Days glue themselves to what is wrong
And soon the hills will swallow us up
Plans will pass her up

Land on the walls is laid out
I know you're in pain
Train for the cause is staying down
It plays you out

Fall out of love again
Your dreams all end 

This song meant a lot to me in high school. I took this cd to Italy when I was 16 or 17 with my friends. I fell in love with the music while falling in love with the Mediterranean and the people I was with. It seemed that every lyrics was meant for me and the trip. The whole plane ride back I was heartbroken and couldn't stop thinking about all these people I loved. When I got off the plane at the airport my mom took one look at me and said something like "I know honey, I'm sorry." 
clearly knowing I wanted to cry. 

Its funny how often I return home wanting to cry. 

No comments: