Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Well illy told me she is reading these and i am not providing enough info/entertainment.... so
On a sad note...
My mom just called me, its like 9:00 AM on Tuesday and we have to go take family pictures in like an hour and a half, i had just woken up to JET, but anywho...

my mom just called me, and after saying she was trying to wake me up, told me a friend of hers died last night.
I asked when the funeral was.
The woman has been battling cancer for quite a while, and actually lived much longer than they said she would, with a full year of a clean bill of health in-between... but when I first found out until today (minus the happy surprise in the middle) I have been oddly attached.... not that I have like visited, or even talked to her... but she was one of my moms only friends at the wedding. (it was very low key immediate family, grandparents, and like 4 others...)
I met her in Tanzania, she was a missionary there and like many missionaries i have met was really cool, very nice supportive, mothering in a nice way. She has three kids of her own, all grown, but one of them was this awesome woman named jodi...(taught me some slang and such in Swahili)
i cant really explain why i feel attached, my total time with this woman in life wouldn’t even add up to a full day... but when good people die, you feel weird.
I guess I must associate her with the positive repercussions of being exposed to the world, associate her as someone who wanted to love the world.

Im not sure who did more of this, but heres a little story.
Linda and her husband were missionaries in Tanzania, and had a house, a pretty nice house there... anyway they had a groundskeeper/guard for the house who was working one day and saw a man try to sneak on to the property who wanted to steal some stuff.
I had been in their house and hadn’t seen much to steal, but im sure any random thing he could have gotten some money for... anyway the guard stopped him, and the thief proceeded to cut him down the side of his face.... this caused a commotion and like in many countries a crowd formed to "deal with the thief."
In many countries where police are not necessarily to be counted on, justice takes a form of mob rule... and thieves are often killed (stoning, hanging, burning...) I think the intention was to tie him up with old tires and burn him alive in this case...
and Linda and Doug fearing for the man's life called up the police and also refused to let the crowd take him struggling for quite a while against them. They then spent hours with the police trying to make sure the man would be safe (the police thought they were being silly and would have let the crowd take him) and took their guard guy to the hospital to make sure he got treated well (where as normally he wouldn’t have).. In many places in the world, it is assumed that a guard would do what this man did, and if he could not perform his job afterwards would be replaced… well in this case:
Eventually the thief lived - probably learned his lesson...
the guard was given medical treatment and then something like a goat or two, which is like not only giving him food or what not, but another source of income...
and the people there got to see that “Christians” perceive life to be more important than materialism and such…. Which even if it isn’t true all the time, is a better and harder message than I think a lot of us would be able to put forth in our lives..

anyway… I have a soft spot for them, and she has now moved on.
(sorry if this was boring..)

No comments: