Monday, May 18, 2020

Controlled Fall



I woke up this morning feeling really refreshed for the first time in a week.
I had a number of super weird dreams, some that were scary and launched me from sleep, some that woke me with thoughts. But when I finally woke, I felt a surge of brilliance.

It's funny because I was feeling so unhappy with my productivity this weekend. I didn't get my actual work even started after putting it off all last week. I have laundry to do. I have a whole list of shit with no check marks, but none of that seemed to matter because I woke up with an idea!

I have had this thought before, and like many of my thoughts I am not sure I know how to take it to completion. Insight is a wonderful thing, but people want to know how to change behavior. I don't know how to give easy answers to that. I am just good at pointing to things.

I woke up with this thought about orbit.
Getting into orbit is in some ways a controlled fall. A fall with momentum, that uses the gravity and momentum to stay on a track. I have often referred to attraction metaphorically as gravity, and I think the idea behind relationships is to have enough momentum that you enter orbit instead of crashing. But my thought wasn't solely for attraction, but just life. Fall = failure in most of our stories, and I woke up thinking about how this metaphor works for why people need to move when they feel stuck. It's not about the action itself, it's about building enough momentum. Stuckness is the ever present friction of the collision, building some momentum to break the gravity spell can free you from your sense of failure.

And now in the light of day, the idea seems less brilliant, more familiar.  Something I've written a hundred times already. And how do I remember and incorporate these ideas into something cohesive?

I feel like I need to get back to writing my book. How do I create some momentum for that?






Listening to this lady a lot since yesterday, I don't think all of her covers are great, but they are interesting.






No comments: