Saturday, April 26, 2014

Rainbows

Lunch break from my last Saturday class woot!   Haven't had much time to write lately. A few months ago I finished a journal and atatted writing in a new one - but I don't like the feel of it.  I tried to write in a new form, a stream of consciousness without punctuation or true English grammar... The words come out and the paper is too light and it doesn't translate to quality on paper.    

I'm reading zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance... And I like it, but at times it moves a little slow for me,  or becomes a little too convoluted.  The character has a wealth of information he draws from, but doesn't explain the points well enough, makes casual references... Is in great need of an editor,  but that plays into the personality of the character so it feels like author choice- not bad writing.  Still annoying nonetheless.  I like the ideas presented but I get more out of reading zen or Taoist or Hindu poems/mantras than some of the metaphors he is creating to analyze... I feel like I relate to the charters background in that, but recognize he is trying to offer a new perspective through a different lens to an audience that doesn't understand those sources.   Anyway. Yesterday as I was reading ( and falling asleep at the coffee shop), there was a line concerning what the narrator calls gumption - regarding the word "enthusiasmos" the root of enthusiasm - meaning the god within you... And I think I have heard that before but it was a lovely touch up... It was like a nice rainbow.    Sometimes a word or a picture or a color is just right and it fits with what came before like a puzzle piece you didn't know you were missing... And maybe it wasn't that perfect - but maybe it just adds to the picture...  That's what that word feels like to me.  And I will probably forget it again... But I would like to live my life with enthusiasm as the people who inspire me do.

No comments: