Monday, May 15, 2017

My critical mind is active, but my creative mind is a little too silent. 
I started my new summer classes, both with a professor that I’ve only had online before. The class I took online with her sucked, but I looked forward to the subject matter this summer as both classes are related to macro practice in policy and organizing. I am not sure what I expected, but so far (one class in) they are very introductory and I haven’t felt challenged. Some of the assignments are cool, (researching leaders in the field, doing a community tour, meeting with a community leader), but once again… didn’t I ask my students in sociology to do a community tour? Go observe and analyze! 
My professor is really exciting in that she is outspoken in her political beliefs, but I also found her ability to structure a discussion underwhelming (like previous profs). There is no challenge or follow up… no building on an idea, no momentum. Instead, a list of ideas thrown on the board, for what purpose? Where is the application?
Our buy-in became apparent right away, and she seemed thrown off by this as if she were prepared for an argument that never occurred. Instead of rolling with that and building off it… “So what in your experience has lead you to that conclusion? What did you miss, what did you need?” she went on with her planned activities anyway with us losing steam all the while. 
We watched a video about how structural-environmental changes impact health… as if that were revelatory. These profs are not ready for our generation of experienced, smart people. And instead of pushing them to up their game, most of us sit back and cruise through because we are too exhausted or busy to demand a challenge. It’s disappointing for me, but I understand most of my peers –really are too busy because they have full time jobs. 
She also basically said that she saw her biggest impact in the field as her research, and felt held back by having to teach 9 classes a year.  9 classes a year… I’d love that. 
I find her personal experience *which she shares openly, helpful but I wish she would make it a discussion instead of a lecture that shallowly dives from topic to topic. I am hoping it was just the first day… but we only have 3 more in class sessions and will spend half listening to our peers’ presentations. So… what is this class really worth?  She said it wasn’t a class about “community organizing,” but why not? Why shouldn’t it be a class about organizing and policy, and if they save that for the second year of the macro program –then clinical folks are missing out, and macro folks aren’t getting the experience in the field of doing the work. It’s all a missed opportunity. The whole programs design is flawed… they aren’t organizing us, or teaching us to be leaders, instead they’ve become accustomed to people seeking a degree and cruising through the program. 

There is a table full of young christians in front of me, and I want to ask. 
I want to argue and persuade.
I want to listen and learn. 
I want to do both without jeopardizing the ability to do either. 
Instead I don't. 



No comments: