Monday, September 02, 2013

Pilot

I've been listening to this band for years. I heard then randomly playing at the depot coffee shop while I was in high school.  They a very heavy sort of metal or something.  Anyway I have always enjoyed the lyrics which are very philosophical but whole listening today (and reading). I realized the thing I like about this style of music is that the monotone repeated notes of bass and guitar create not only a rhythm but a second level of percussion. Yes they vary it up a bit and some of the riffs are great. But the majority of the songs are:
One guitarist playing rhythm guitar and occasionally nice accents screeching noises.  He also sings, but it's not singing it's yelling. Not screaming, he is yelling, almost like an angry speech.  This another rhythm. Percussive accents on words.
Then a bass player playing repeated patterns. Sometimes plays the same note or two for a long period of time.
Then drums.
It's a band playing patterns. Overlapping. So that the spaces start to matter at times more than the notes.   Math in movement. Speech in music. The human heartbeat layered with breath, and surges of hormones. 

No comments: