Wednesday, December 30, 2009

On Hair


I've joked before that my hair was too pretty not to keep long...
which wasn't really a joke, but an actual motivation derived of my vanity.

So I have been thinking a lot lately about the importance of hair, or rather why I keep it long... I am thinking about this because I will cut it in about a month.
I understand the reasons I cut it, usually a letting go process, a renewal. But why keep it long?

I understand that to most people they probably see me as one of those pony tail guys who are kind of creepy. Its not standard, its not exactly easy. It doesn't usually win any points with the ladies.

At times I know it has been my "freak flag" and generally I used to think that having long hair afforded more options than having short hair, but really due to the weather (humidity, heat, cold) and due to wetness and laziness I almost never do anything but throw it back. When I have short hair I actually find it is far easier to fuck with... throw in a bobby pin or some gel and wham you got a new hairstyle.

Also the rigidity of maintaining long hair can be a task. Not only do you have to keep it clean, combed and untampered with (if you want to donate it as I do) but there is a general sort of understanding that you will not suddenly shave away half your head...
This rigidity is something I am occasionally attracted to, I like the idea of Nazirite vows. I like the idea of undertaking this for something higher than myself... if nothing else to fulfill a vow. This is partially why I grow and cut in a 3 year cycle. I don't know why it happened that way... just something I came up with when I was younger but then it stuck. True the vows have been broken twice, each after a breakup when I needed that cleansing.

But I am wondering if I want to continue the three year cycle.
Weighing the options, pros and cons of having short hair vs long.

Usually when I have short hair I can't wait for it to be long again.
There is a sort of comfort there.
It used to be that I could hide my face, but now its more just the security of knowing I don't have to rely on me alone... like jewelry and pageantry it brightens and highlights (if only in my mind).



I used to be really attracted to long hair. I mean I still am, but I have grown accustomed to and attracted to other hair styles now as well. There are things I would like to try, if only for a week or two. Things that may not make me prettier but that would make me feel like I accomplished something (walking around looking weird is an accomplishment).

Anyway... I guess I am just thinking.
The song "Hair" from the musical Hair is still something I agree with in general I think. I feel like we should explore as much as we can and create and express.
But equally I am feeling a drive to conform, to settle and it doesn't feel bad. It feels like a nice thing sometimes. A new form of comfort.
I am guessing in a month or two I will start growing my hair though...

No comments: