Wednesday, February 04, 2009

harsh week at work?

Man today.... I don't even know what to say. Perhaps I am overly sensitive to moods and thus I just get caught up in the general mood of the school. But sometimes they are crazy and obnoxious and I am certainly not feeling that.

I guess today wasn't so bad. Classes were generally good. Lots of hard issues though... and the students really felt it.
Like how can you talk about gang rape without someone tearing up, and without someone getting defensive, and without someone checking out completely, and without someone asking why we have to tackle these huge issues.
Well, in our society abuse of power and the use of force against vulnerable people is a real issue. Its a struggle we will all face in some context and sadly some of us have already. So when you say it hurts to have to think, sometimes I smile inside, because I know this lesson will stick with you till you are old. Maybe it will encourage you to not feel alone, or encourage you to be sympathetic rather than make fun of or refuse to support someone who has been victimized. Help give hope to a survivor that you are willing to hear their plight and do something about it.
Cuz history class might allow you to conveniently separate yourself and process only with your head... but your life, your history, your time -hell I want you to kick and scream all the way through it. Out of rage or excitement, out of anger that helps you deal or guilt that helps you change it... because change does happen... but only when someone says "Enough."

No comments: