Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The mountain (inspired by Bernice Johnson Reagon. and everyone I have met, but especially Becky Illy and Aimee for all of our concerns)

Sometimes, forgetting
that the mountain is me
I jump off
falling I find my freedom
ignore pleas
and hands that reach for me
and when I hit
I hit hard
and roll down a few more steps

Sometimes, forgetting
that the mountain is you
I climb up
repressing feelings
losing my balance
I stumble some more
create my own fiction
fantasies
that I can climb alone

Sometimes, forgetting
that the mountain is us
I pass by lost people
ignore pleas for help
and blind my self
with shades
to create haze
around our inadequacies
in this way I say I am an individual

Sometimes, forgetting
that the mountain is our history
I confess
but do not consider
myself a part of the reoccurring
culture that inhibits
others to feel grounded
in the knowledge
that they are a valued part and surrounded
by our mountain

No comments: