Wednesday, March 07, 2018

I think I have an anxious romantic attachment style, but a secure friendship attachment. So when a potential romantic interest becomes a friendship I become settled into my role, even if I secretly want more or crave their attention it is easier for me to feel confident in the boundaries and the reality that I won't be crushed when they don't want me. 

My romantic relationships have almost all begun during times when I have multiple crushes, and I was able to jostle the different possibilities for long enough that I could settle into feeling somewhat secure in the role, because the positive feelings of each counterbalanced the highs and lows, after feeling more secure in the role, I have at times been emotionally drawn away by friends needs, but never physically (I haven't cheated). 

I probably seem avoidant to most people, because in my attempts to stay secure, I over compensate towards avoidant in order to not lose myself. I know my tendencies to be drawn by each batted eye or scent. 

The book suggests I fall for someone boring long enough to have a secure oxytocin connection rather than be drawn to the highs and lows of chemical anxious system response. 

No comments: